A History of Founders' Grove in Maps
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
As the street map here shows, Founders' Grove was looking more and more as it does today, at least in the configuration of the streets. The blank space in Jackson Street is because of a court dispute, and Clay Street was not known as Oakland Avenue yet. Harwood, Woodland and Mercer were not yet renamed. The alternating black and white lines down Washington, Vale and Clay Streets are the electric tram lines that served the neighborhood! You can see that the fairgrounds have disappeared and that the large lots have been subdivided.
A newspaper article June 25, 1914 featured three homes being built in Founder's Grove. RC Mayland was building a home at 416 Woodland that he intended to sell rather than occupy. Mr. Mayland was by profession a tailor but was also investing in land. In the spring of 1914 Mr. Mayland purchased at a court auction the Villa Marie property. On the property, which stretched from Clay to Jackson, he installed a 150 foot lake and a 75 foot masonry pergola. The lot was heavily wooded and had to be cleared of brush. He planned to build a grand home with a deer park, peacocks and swans. Whether Mr. Mayland ever built his home has not been verified. Mayland did live at 1910 E Oakland in 1917, but in 1919 another family lived at that address. Two other homes were being built on Willard by Contractor IM Ackerman at 401 and 402 Willard. The first occupants of these houses were William and Emma Buoy (401) and Ben and Fern Stone (402). William Buoy was a jeweler and Ben Stone was a travelling freight agent for the Illinois Central Railroad. Contractor HB Hall was building a home for himself at State and Clay but no house of the description in the paper is still standing there (two story frame home with pebble and dash upper story exterior).
The information about the residents of Founders' Grove in 1914 is too large to fit on one page of this website, so please look at the subpages!