A History of Founders' Grove in Maps
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
They Lived on Kreitzer
Charlotte Williamson (107 Kreitzer) (in dress with lighter panel) was a member of the League of Women Voters in 1940. Here she, Jeanette Ramsey and Gertrude Hooten are planning actions by the League.
Elizabeth Williamson (left) (107 Kreitzer) was in the Washington 4th grade historical play in 1940.
You have to wonder whether the uniforms were not part of the attraction of the Red Cross. Here Florence Rust (center) is preparing surgical dressings with Mrs. William G. Read and Mrs. T.F. Campbell. Darwin and Florence lived at 108 Kreitzer.
Don Holder attended Washington Grade School in 1948 and was also a crossing guard. He lived at 111 Kreitzer with his parents Don and Maurine.
Bette Nance was chosen to portray "Victory" in the victory parade in 1942. She lived at 113 Kreitzer. The group is on East Street in front of 2nd Pres.
The entire Edgar Hill family is sitting around a card table in the dining room planning the family budget in 1941. The boys are Ronald and Bruce, the mother Helen and the grandmother, Anna Granbeck. They lived at 203 Kreitzer.
These Girl Scouts are popping some corn in a handy popcorn popping skillet. Joyce Abbey (right) lived at 204 Kreitzer with Lloyd and Eva Marie Abbey. The other girls are Marilyn Mecherle (1401 Olive) and Diane Taylor (411 Willard).
Jeanette Masters lived at 205 Kreitzer, the home of her in laws. The Masters family lived at 205 Kreitzer for over 80 years and members of the family still live in FG.
Helen Haskell and her husband built the home at 206 Kreitzer and must have looked forward to having a family there, but no census record shows any children living in the home.
Virginia Leach lived at 208 Kreitzer with her husband Shelton. In this image she is visiting the Day Nursery, a nursery school and "Settlement House" created for the people of the west side of Bloomington in 1908. Modeled after the Hull House in Chicago, the Bloomington Settlement house provided a nursery for children, education for women, English classes for immigrants, a medical clinic, and cooking classes for girls. For about 20 years the donations of women's clubs and a tea room supported the work of the Settlement House. After that fundraising was performed by a united charities campaign.
Maurita Meyer was 2 when she lived at 216 Kreitzer with her parents, Laurence and Florence and her brother Laurence. In 1946 she appeared in the Pantagraph and was noted to be a nightclub dancer (age 19) in Chicago. She had just returned from a USO tour to the Japan, Korea and Hawaii and was living in Bloomington. She was not impressed with the East, but brought home silk kimonos. Maurita had taken dance lessons at the Carl Whitmer dance studio for many years. Her father ran a shoe repair business in Bloomington. After 1946 Maurita remained in Bloomington until taking a job as a dance instructor in Columbia MO.
Phyllis Mockert (right) is with Jayne Groves at BHS, demonstrating some puppets they made. After attending art school at U of I, Phyllis worked at the Kane Advertising agency in Bloomington.
Robert Evans (right) lived at 219 Kretizer in the 30s and attended Trinity High in 1942. Robert's father died suddenly, of a heart attack, in 1940. At that time, the family was living at 401 Leland.